daniSo one of my daughters decided she wanted this, from Nashua Handknits, City Streets Pattern Book from the Autumn 2008, Winter 2009 collection, but, and here’s the kicker, she wanted a cardigan, not a pullover.

How hard can it be? Just knit in a button band and we’re good to go right?

Wrong. As usual, I didn’t take into consideration everything when I went into my “pattern alteration” mode.

The sweater itself turned out beautiful, in a gorgeous bright blue, but, see the cable band across the shoulders? It’s too heavy to support itself since it wasn’t joined together.

Several options. I could “winch it up”, with a strand of yarn run up both sides of the front before I put on the buttons, but that resulted in a “bunchy” area, not very pretty. So, what I ended up doing is just sewing it back together and putting buttons up the front, just a if it were really a cardigan, but it’s not.

Looks great, she likes it, all is well, but I sure wish I could forsee these things!

What would you have done? (other than the obvious, duh, what did you think would happen when you left that much cable unsupported…)…

By Terrye


1 Comment so far

  1. Jeanne on December 5, 2009 8:07 am

    Wow, that is a heavy cable – so beautiful. Your “winching up” involved just sewing a single strand of yarn up to create some tension. The winching I’ve done involved crocheting a chain up the saggy part. This means that there are two strands of yarn doing the work. I’ve done this on neckbands, when the designer thought having a continuous neck to body stretch was great then the whole thing started sagging around the neck.
    On my sweater the sagging was vertical, so I crocheted a horizontal line about where the neckband should have been picked up if it weren’t continuous. I’m wondering if your winching could have been done in a star pattern following the lines of the sweater from the neck down to the bottom of that beautiful cable yoke. That’s what I would have tried. I’m glad your daughter was happy with your solution too.

Name (required)

Email (required) - but not published


Speak your mind, and then click submit comment


Follow on Bloglovin

follow us in feedly